Sunday, September 2, 2012

FANGIRLING: Sophie Scholl

Today I'm "FANGIRLING" a little more seriously than usual, and I'm its over the spiritually courageous

Sophie Scholl

one of my heroes

At the age of 21 Sophie was executed by guillotine after being convicted of high treason.  Her crime was publishing some anti-war leaflets that were printed by the White Rose (a non-violent resistance group that encouraged people to passively resist the Nazis) in 1943 at Munich University.  Eventually a copy of the leaflet made it out of Germany and millions of copies were made and then dropped by plane over parts of Germany. Its was re-entitled The Manifesto of Munich Students. You can read it here. But its pretty boring and all political, and Sophie didn't even help write it, just spread it around. I suggest watching Sophie Scholl: The Final Days to get a better idea of her morals and courage. Its a German film I watched last year at the International Cinema that introduced me to who she was.


I just love that she had the courage to stand up and do what she knew was right even if nobody would stand with her.  "How can we expect fate to let a righteous cause prevail when there is hardly anyone who will give himself up undividedly to a righteous cause?"

So yesterday I said that I added this to My Happy Board Of Awesome Things That Are Awesome:

Just to clarify, something has to be REEEEEEEEALLY important to me to go on there.  Sophie's final words were "Die Sonne scheint noch" or "the sun still shines" (it even says so here). Even when she was in jail, on trial, and about to be executed she knew the the sun was still shining, there is still light in the world, and that things weren't over.



She also said "I know that life is a doorway to eternity, and yet my heart so often gets lost in petty anxieties. It forgets the great way home that lies before it." Ah, doesn't that just speak to your soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment